Sunday, August 05, 2007

The "Lolas" and the "Apos"

I have two of my grandchildren today - Manny and Dominic. It brought up some memories about the Lolas and the cousins growing up in Catmon. We were the "pinikas" - how I am not sure how it translates in English - roughly "designated" grandchildren.

There was me, Ethna - Teresa's daughter living with Lola Beatriz (Emilio). My mother was living first in Michigan and then California. My mother was the eldest and I am the eldest also. Later on, I was replaced by Eva (I called her Bambi)- Tia Geline's eldest. Tia Geline and Tio Edgar were living in Kiburiao, Bukidnon.

Michael - the son of Tio Lorenzo and Tia Loreto lived with Lola Vidad (Mateo). His parents also lived in Bukidnon. We went through school together. Later on, Louella lived with Lola Vidad. Her parents Tio Vicente and Tia Quiling lived in Iligan.

Lola Milyang (married to Regalado and De Dios) had Manoling and later on Riza - both daughters of Tio Dodo and Tita Remy. The family lived in the city but the two girls, especially Riza stayed in Catmon.

Lola Sayong (Gervasio - Tata Batoy)had Roy and later Villeza. They are the son and daughter of Titi Bebeng and Tia Moning. The family lived in Medellin.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

tita ethna,
gud day.i was surfing the catmonanon site and saw your blog.my name is ivy ares montecillo.i am the youngest daughter of gervasio (batoy) jr. and lucyminda ares.my grandparents are the late tata batoy and lola sayong.sad to say titi vencio past away but tia moning is in u.s. with her children.im now working here in qatar with my family.hope u will join the reunion someday.God bless.

montecillo said...

Wow, Ivy!

Soo good to hear from you. It means that this blog business is working. Bootsie was still very small when I left Catmon and your brother was just a baby.

How is Yoyoy these days - that is what I use to call your father. He used to spend a lot of nights at the house with Lola and I - before he went to school in Musuan, Bukidnon.

I was in Chicago with Lorna when she received the video of Titi Bebeng's - we cried and cried.

Stay in touch and say hello to your folks for me.

Ethna

Anonymous said...

tita ethna,
im hapi to hear ur comment.to continue my fmly tree we are six siblings,yes te butch is our eldest,she's in mnla nw.kuya rex is living in cogon,hope u rmbr d chapel there and d rest is all over d town.i'm currently living in qatar where my husband is working.papa(yoyoy) is naughty.i mean he had this addiction with alcohol so it,s so sad to tell.my mama is a retired teacher.they r living near nanay solang house..twas vry tragic when tio vencio died .i think u knew how it happend..well,give my regrds to ur fmly.keep posting.tek cre.

montecillo said...

Ivy,

I grew up with Lola Bette's alcoholism and have suffered some consequences that I am still grappling with it.

From Lola, I married an active alcoholic and divorced after 23 years. It is not an easy life.

Unfortunately, alcoholism is a disease - it is recognized world wide as such, therefore those who are affected must be treated as such. Alcoholism has nothing to do with meanness or will power.

The trick is to assure the alcoholic of our love and support but not enable them. We need to practice tough love. This is what one would do if the one we love have a disease like cancer or diabetes.

The whole family need to educate themselves about the disease and get into recovery from the effects of the disease. It is a family disease.

I continue to attend Children of Alcoholic meetings - have gone for almost 22 years now.

Give my love and regards to Yoyoy and Inday Lucy as well as the rest of your brothers and sisters.

Ethna

Marlon said...

Hi Tita Ethna,

Nice to know you went to school with my father, Michael (Mike) Montecillo. Was this in Catmon or Bukidnon? I recall my dad saying the family spent some time living in Bukidnon and they went back to Catmon and stayed in lolo Tiyoy and lola Vidad's house.

I named my eldest son (second child) Matthew in honor of lolo Tiyoy (Mateo). Although I never saw lolo Tiyoy in the flesh, I believe he did wonderful things during his lifetime. I was fortunate though to have seen pretty lola Vidad when she was still alive but already bedridden. She died when I was just about 6 or 7 years old.

Lolo Lorenzo died in late November of 2005. I sent him some gifts for Xmas 2005 thru the balikbayan box but he never got it.

Lots of memories, hope I can talk some more. I'll keep in touch. If you want to send me email, here's my address:

mmontecillo@sbcglobal.net.

Kumusta na Ivy, email me if you can.

Marlon