Friday, August 10, 2007

Tata Batyong

The first one of the brothers to travel to the US was Tata Batyong (Gervasio). Apparently, he signed up as a Philippine Scout during the first world war. The Philippines was a colony and possession of the US then. That was around 1914 - 1916?? - will have to check my history for exact dates.

I am not sure how many of the Catmonanons served in the military, but quiet a few settled in Detroit. I know Tata Batyong served for sure because he was able to collect a small pension for his service. He brought my grandfather, Emilio to the US and I believe Michigan. Later on, his twin brother (Protacio) Uncle Tasio and his nephew, Uncle Carling(Carlos Regalado) came also. I will write about what I know about them in another blog.

Their cousins,Uncle Bennie (Benito Rivera Jurado)and Uncle Paul (Pablo Rivera Jurado)also came and settled in Detroit. So did Uncle Elie (Elias Rivera Jurado Monsanto)- Lola Ninang's son who later married Auntie Nina Joromo.

I don't know how or why Tata Batyong ended back in Catmon or how and why Uncle Tasio ended up in Knightsen, California. It is one of the twist and turns of family history that we may never find out.

It has been fun for me to think and write about the family story. I hope you will share this with your family. Knowledge of family history is supposed to be good for the identity development of young people.

Family provides us roots to keep us grounded and help us grow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tita edna,
hello again.just want to ask you if you have email where i can send my family pix coz i can't get thru from this blog.thanks.have a nice day.god bless

ivy mntclo

montecillo said...

Hi, Ivy

How's the family? All doing well???

I have 2 good e-mail addresses:

erankine@madonna.edu

indayethna@gmail.com

Looking forward to seeing pics of the family!

Thanks!

Edna