Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Going To San Francisco

The Original Plan

After the last delivery for the Madonna University Christmas for Kids Project, the original plan was to sit back, relax, be with family (in Michigan), go to church and celebrate a quiet Christmas.

A Dose of Life's Realities

Received word from the family, in San Francisco, that Tatay was taken to the hospital. Tatay is in his 80's, every hospitalization is risky. At 61 years old, I have never spent Christmas with him. So I cried. It happens - when I am not in control of circumstances in my life.

Decisions, Considerations, Decisions

Had 60 families with 154 children in the background counting on having a good Christmas. Had to focus on the packing, last minute shopping and deliveries to these families.

Had not shopped for my immediate family, had very limited $$$ for travel - holiday travel in the US is expensive. The obstacles were countless, financially!

Have never spent a Christmas away from my children and grandchildren - unless they have chosen to do so. They are the most important people in my life. Have spent the last 30 Christmases with the family in Michigan!

Drafted Lauren, John, Dominic and Larry to help. I was losing focus, got lost in neighborhoods that I was familiar with. I felt very splintered and acted very scattered. I was also searching the net for cheap air fare to San Francisco. So was Frank and Lauren. The regular economy class fare to San Francisco during the holidays is over $750.00.

Donna and Frank encouraged me to go - so did Larry. What would I ever do without him and the support he provides???

So on December 23, I made the decision that if I can find affordable air fare, I would go. So, I gave the kids an "I Owe You" for Christmas when the right price came up.

I flew to San Francisco on December 24 to spend Christmas with Tatay and family, but mostly Tatay.



<$>">View blog reactions

No comments: