Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Global Connection - Finding Family on “Facebook”

When I was growing up in the Philippines, I was told that all Montecillos are related. A distant Montecillo ancestor settled in the northern part of the island of Cebu. Cebu is a Philippine island steeped in history. This is where Magellan landed, when lost his way to look for spices and other treasures.

Magellan was killed in the Battle of Mactan; a small island off the island of Cebu. The island chieftain, Lapu Lapu, refused to pay homage to the King of Spain. The Spaniards did not settle in the Philippines until 1565. Lapu Lapu is the first Filipino hero.

The first Spanish settlements were established in Cebu. The settlers were mostly soldiers, who married local women. That is how our family story began. My Montecillo ancestor settled in northern Cebu – Catmon, Sogod and Borbon. As the family grew, various branches moved away and settled in different parts of Cebu and other islands in the Philippines.

I belong to the clan of Pantaleon Montecillo y Menchavez. My great grandfather, Pantaleon, was the last Spanish Capitan of Catmon. His mother is a Menchavez. He was first wife to Teresa Rivera. When Lola Teresa died, he married Catalina Loyola.

To test the family story, I asked all the Montecillo members on Facebook to tell me their story. I forwarded a link featuring the Pantaleon Montecillo Clan Grand Reunion in 2006-2007. I belong to the Emilio (my grandfather) Branch of this clan.

Here is a sampling of the replies:

Era Montecillo works with the Camphill Community at Coleg Elidyr, Victoria House in Wales. She has been working there for a few years. The college educates and trains young people with special needs. She said, “Tita, that family featured in the link you sent me, is my family. I belong to the Pantaleon Montecillo Clan, Cesario Branch.” Lolo Cesar is one of my grandfather’s younger brothers from the Loyola marriage.

Ameera Ares lives and works in Qatar with her family. She wrote, “Tita, I belong to the Gervacio Branch of the Pantaleon Montecillo Clan. Tata Batyong is my grandfather.” Spain ceded the Philippines to the United States after the Spanish American War in 1898. Filipinos fought with the US troops in the First World War. Tata Batyong was a soldier in the war. He decided to stay in the US after the war. He brought his brother Emilio to Detroit in 1917. Emilio is my grandfather. During one of his trips to the Philippines, Tata Batyong married in Catmon and decided to settle there in 1926.

Frances Montecillo-Narvaez lives and works in Switzerland with her family. She wrote, “Your great grandfather, Pantaleon, was the best cousin-friend of my great grandfather, Panfilo. He named his eldest son after Pantaleon. Panfilo moved and settled in Tuburan. The family have scattered all over since their time.”

Ian Mark Schomber lives in Germany. He found out about me in Facebook. He is from the Menchavez side of the family. His mother called Cebu and told her sister-in-law, Yeldez, about me and my quest in Facebook. Yeldez immediately had her son send an e-mail confirming that we are indeed cousins. The e-mail spoke of the Menchavez family gatherings in Sogod.

This is only a sampling of the Montecillo “Facebook” connection. Most of the family is still in the Philippines. Outside the country, most of us have settled in the US and Canada, with a growing number in the Middle East, Australia and Hong Kong. An exchange of pictures and stories through Facebook, e-mails and blogs have continued to connect us. With the help of technology, I am connected to a truly globalized family.

My curiosity is leading me to find out a little bit more about the Mexican and Spanish Montecillo families. I understand they are into grassland ecology in Mexico and vineyards in Spain. This could be a lot of fun.

Keep connecting and keep the connections strong!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello
I would be surprised if we were not related somehow.
My name is James Cornish, age 37. I am the son of Sue Montecillo, who had three brothers; Joe, Jerry and Ismael (everyone called him Porky). We are from the east side of Detroit.

My mother's father's name was Ismael Montecillo. He was from Sogod. I was told he had seven brothers, but I only recall the names Antalin, Tekio (or Sekio, or both), Victor, and a family friend that he brought over with him, named Pedro Duran (he might have been a half brother). My granfather Ismael arrived from the Phillipines when the country was then a US protectorate, but I am not sure of the exact year. Perhaps the 1930's.

His mother's maiden name was Mara Mara, (I am not sure of the exact spelling)which my mother said was the Spanish approximation of Lapu Lapu.

I did grow up hearing many times the story of Lapu Lapu. It makes me happy that there are some common stories that we pass on in the ethnicity-it makes me feel like part of a larger whole.

I have no idea what clan my family belongs to, and my grandfather passed away when I was young.

Please write if you care, to James.Cornish@emich.edu

thanks!
JAMES

Anonymous said...

Hello pariente,

My name is Maritoni & I'm in Canada. My mother's maiden name is Montecillo & she went to attend the Montecillo Grand Reunion in Catmon or Sogod a few months back & said it was a successful one. Judge Vic Montecillo is the President of this Montecillo organization & they are first cousins.

Thanks,

Maritoni

Anonymous said...

i agree...my father Nelson montecillo sometime told me that montecillo in cebu are closely related...i dont know if its true that CATMON is really derived from a phrase "catunga montecillo" meaning half and almost people living in that place belong to montecillo clan...he added jokingly that when they cut classes and go outing they were often caught because they are known to the people when ever they go...my grandfather name is generoso montecillo and my father is nelson...im yves montecillo but im raised in negros occidental..

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Joel Macquillan my father is Teodulfo Maquilan y Montecillo son of Narcisa Montecillo and Maximo Maquilan of Damulog Sogod, Cebu. I remember my lola's father as Teodoro Montecillo or tatay Doru as we called him. My father also mentioned that He has a cousin who is a monsengneour but I do not know the name. My lola Sisang has a sister in Sogod namely lola Mancia, lola Tutay mother of auntie Era and uncle Junior. I know I have some uncles here in the U.S. but I am not quite sure which clan are you. My 2 uncles here are uncle Junior son of lola Tutay and ucnle Bronito. I am here in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canda. Pleas write to jmacquillan@yahoo.ca do not mind about my family names spelling because it was a clerical error in my birth certificate which I have to follow when i migrate to Canada. You can also find me in friendster.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such stories. I love to read blogs like that. By the way add more pics :)

Anonymous said...

Great article as for me. It would be great to read a bit more concerning this theme. The only thing it would also be great to see on this blog is some pics of some gadgets.
David Watcerson
Cell phone blocker

Anonymous said...

Hi, did anyone mention a Lorenzo Montecillo? Been trying to find him. Thanks.